Vacancy for a Village Councillor

      Comments Off on Vacancy for a Village Councillor

Ashurst Wood Village Council has a Casual Vacancy for a Councillor which it wishes to fill by co-option.

Do you wish to help make change in your community? Do you have ideas about what the Council should do?
We need people from all backgrounds and experiences to represent the community.

The role of a Councillor can be very fulfilling and allows an individual to get actively involved with issues that affect the village and to help maintain and improve services for the residents.  The Village Council is the first tier of local government and Councillors represent the views and concerns of the residents to the Village Council which works with the district and county councils and other bodies for the benefit of the village. 

Councillors need to be available to attend regular meetings – Ashurst Wood Village Council holds at least one meeting a month, on a Tuesday evening. Individual Councillors do not have the powers to make decisions but matters are discussed at meetings and decisions made as a Council. There will also be the opportunity to attend meetings of outside organisations and to attend training courses.

Village Councillors do not receive a salary or an allowance, but can recover some expenses.

The Council hopes to co-opt a new Member at its meeting on Tuesday 7th December 2021.
Completed application forms must be received by Wednesday 1st December 2021.

If you would like to apply, you must be a Commonwealth/British citizen or EU citizen and be 18 years of age or over, and must not be disqualified from being a Councillor.  In addition one of the following must apply:

  • you are on the local electoral register
  • you have owned or leased land or other premises in the parish for the last 12 months
  • you have worked in the parish for the last 12 months
  • you have lived in or within three miles of the parish for the last 12 months

Please see the Notice of Vacancy and the co-option information and application form below for more information.
If you have questions, contact the Clerk or one of the Councillors.

Notice of Vacancy
Co-option Information
Co-option application form (pdf)
Co-option application form (Word)